Sunday, May 24, 2009

Act II: Tingo is closed



See the previous post to get the jist on what Tingo is all about. We arrived at the pool (about 45 min from our downtown center) only to be told that they stop letting people in an hour before we got there. We were all devastated for about a minute, wondering what we should do and how to not completely disappoint our girls, until I asked the security guards if there were any other pools nearby. Turns out there was one just around the corner and if we hurried we might get in before it closed also. Good thing I asked.

Now this was not the same as the actual "Tingo" pools, which appeared to be more like a swim park with some water slides and picnic areas, etc. This was just a pool that a family had built on their property and charged a small fee to use. It was enclosed, had showers and bathrooms, a hot spring directing water into the pool, and there was only one little family of four occupying the place. It worked perfectly for us.

The girls were a little nervous about getting in and some were downright afraid, so I went against my promise to myself and got in the water. I know I said I wouldn't but it looked clean and my girls really needed some encouragement. Even the most bad-ass girls had that look of thrilling kid-fear (see Tatiana below) that gets them to try out the thing they want to avoid most. And to be honest it felt good to be looked to for support, especially by the ones who on any normal day seem the least willing to show you that they care about having you around.

Yikes.


Anyways, we had a great time--they were so much fun to play around with and we even got to teach them a little about swimming, though most of them never got it down. And I had no need to worry about renting swimsuits because somehow the girls came up with swimming outfits for each other. They are so resourceful.

It was a great paseo and I'm really glad I went into the water. I can't say for sure what I would have done if we'd gone to the more popular "Tingo" pools, but something tells me the girls would have convinced me to get in anyway.

Much love,
Marian

No comments: